one day i was at joann's clutching a 50% off coupon with nothing to buy until i stumbled upon this plier kit. at half off, i decided it would be interesting to give it a try. the tool also can double as an eyelet attacher, and it came with a handful of eyelets and snaps.
that was over a year ago.
the other day i decided it'd be wise to get a head start on christmas gifts, so i made a couple baby bibs and tested out the plier applicator... jaw... thing.
doesn't it look like some sort of robot dinosaur?
i immediately liked how the rubber kept the pieces from moving around, so they'd be perfectly aligned. this can be a little trickier when done the most basic way with a spool of thread and hammer.
however, when i squeezed the clamp together, i realized the fundamental flaw with the applicator--the pressure is difficult to make even on all sides, so you run the risk of one side of the pieces not being fully attached to each other. i wound up doing some extra hammering to secure them tightly. i tested a handful of these snaps, and the results were unimpressive- about half were ruined.
overall, i was pretty unimpressed. i may give it a couple more tries in the future or just go back to the most basic method.