Saturday, January 5, 2013

ikea expedit wall shelf --> nightstand

my new life left me with zero pieces of furniture.  so as i searched for a place to live in san diego, i simultaneously started collecting ideas for my future home.

being divorced and unemployed pretty much limits my shopping range, meaning places like room&board and crate&barrel are pretty much out.  possibly forever.  luckily, i love ikea, which generally matches most of my design sensibilities without tearing too big of a hole in my pocket.  my room is mostly finished, and i am quite happy with it.  while i am not ready to showcase the full room yet, i will first show you my one "diy" piece: my nightstand.


i can be very particular.  i want things to be just so, especially when it comes to my furniture, something i see and use daily.   i bookmarked several nightstands and except for a west elm nightstand i didn't want to pay for, i had trouble finding something that would fit the bill.  but after looking through what seemed like every product on ikea.com, i settled on turning the expedit wall shelf into a nightstand by adding hairpin legs.

hairpin legs are my FAVORITE.


aren't they magnificent? !

i bought my 8" legs made to order from hairpinlegs.com and attached them to a white ikea expedit wall shelf and added a two-drawer insert.   if you want to make this nightstand, you'll also need a drill.



i also rust proofed the legs before screwing them on, since i bought the raw steel hairpin legs.  just in case.  i just did a few coats since my nightstand lives indoors (the can recommended something like 6 coats?).  the legs are also available in brushed stainless steel, but i prefer the raw look... which is also slightly cheaper.


i kind of really want a second nightstand, but i don't have anywhere to put it... nor do i really need it.  how unfortunate. 

oh, and before i forget, happy new year! ! 

7 comments:

  1. I love the nightstand - a really good idea and it looks so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nightstand fits right in! I must admit that hopeless at those DIY pieces of furniture! Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, easy hack! Quick question.

    Did you secure the insert to the wall shelf or does it sit in their fine on it's own?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!
      i didn't secure the insert to the wall shelf. it mostly sits fine on it's own- sometimes it shifts backwards a little but i just push it back out.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, I need a tiny coffee table and will make this without the legs:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I've been looking for bedside tables for ages but haven't found anything that looks nice for a reasonable price.
    Planning a trip to IKEA next week to get a couple of these. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...